Sunday 12 February 2012

Be Happy For Others!

Amato mio are moving to Thailand at the beginning of March! How exciting is that? We really can’t wait!

Most of our friends and family are thrilled for us, yet a few seem to think we’ll be murdered in our beds, die from disease, be killed by venomous creatures, have terrible accidents, be victims of crime, and a hundred and one other misinformed ‘reasons’. I suspect the worst thing which is likely to happen is that we get an upset tummy!

Some people we don’t see from one year to the next have said, “Oh but we’ll never see you” .... hmmmm, they don’t see us anyway because mostly we’re all so tied up with our own lives that we rarely take time out to visit each other, so how is being on another continent and not seeing each other any different to living an hour's drive away from each other and rarely making the effort?

Wat Prathat, Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai. Copyright Frank Farm

I suspect it’s really just a bit of a shock; after all, amato mio and I talked it over, then decided to just go and do it. We didn't discuss it with anyone but each other, so of course, the first thing other people know is that all of a sudden we are no longer going to be within visiting distance, and they've not had any time to adjust to it. I hope that soon they get used to it and can be happy for us...and of course, realise that they can come and stay with us whenever they want!

There’s really no need for anyone to worry about us; we’ll have our iPhones, laptops and internet, access to good medical care and law enforcement (not that there’s much crime in Chiang Mai anyway) – we’re not going to be cut off from civilisation! And we are far from impressionable, reckless, unworldly teenagers!

Of course it can be a scary thing to move out of my comfort zone but the sense of satisfaction at having done it, and having achieved something fantastic is probably the most awesome feeling in the world. And it spurs me on to discover what else I can do! 

Who wouldn't want that?!

It’s going to be such an adventure, and y’know what? Even if it turns out that we don’t like it (yeah right!), at least we will have experienced it. I don’t want to get to the end of my life, only to discover I am filled with regret for all the things I didn’t do because of ‘what ifs’. There is an amazing world out there, full of amazing places and amazing people, and it’s just waiting for me to go and say hello!

I have a beautiful, precious, amazing life...and I want to live it to the full, not waste it sitting around dreaming of what I could do, and then finding a load of excuses to not do anything – I want to be out there doing it, living it! And I want to be doing it all with the most awesomely amazing man in the world!

No comments: