Tuesday 11 December 2012

30 Things: #8 - What are 5 passions you have?

Oh, this is going to be relatively difficult; I'm one of those people who is either completely obsessive over something, or just don't give it a second thought! That said, there are things/areas which I am very passionate about... moreso than everything else I obsess over!
  1. My life! It may sound obvious but I really am passionate about the life I lead. I have an awesome life... Italians have a word for leading an awesome life; passione!
  2. My relationship with amato mio. Early next year we will have been together for ten years, and the flame burns increasingly bright. I am absolutely dedicated to keeping it so - not in any bunny-boiler kind of way but more in the way that something worth having is worth working hard for.
  3. Food. OK, you all know that! Food, as well as being a delicious form of sustenance, gives me so much more; it's not just that it tastes good, or that the texture is pleasing, or that the aroma transports me to a magical place - although, these are all certainly true - it's everything about food. From devising recipes (I use the term loosely!), to shopping for ingredients, to making the dish, to sharing it. I adore sharing food with others... for me, a long, lazy, shared meal, with good friends and good conversation, is probably one of my most favourite things ever. And one of the best things about travelling is that I get to discover new foods, new dishes, and new ways of cooking!
  4. And speaking of travel.... I find it hard to stay in one place for too long; I get bored, I feel caged in, the wanderlust takes hold of me! To date, I've lived in 41 places in 49 years, and I hope I can continue to lead a nomadic life until I am very old. Perhaps for the rest of my life - I have no plans to settle down yet! Being a global wanderer has enabled me to meet amazing people across the world, to live in some truly fantastic locations, and it's also very humbling. Living among some of the world's poorest people really hits home how much we all take for granted... and yet shouldn't. It's also taught me that the less I have, the less I need, and the more I value what I do have. It's taught me that the simplest life is often the happiest.
  5. Social media. I'm always reading about people complaining about social media - some to the point that they see not having a Facebook account as a badge of honour... they're wayyyy too cool for school! Well guess what? I'd have a huge gap in my life if I didn't have Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and my blogs. Why? Because they enable me to engage with my friends and family, no matter where I am in the world, and no matter what time of day or night it is. Unlike Skype or telephone calls, no one has to be online at the same time in order to communicate, and unlike emails, social media can be short, sharp, and sweet; sometimes, simply sharing an image or a meme is far more effective than a lengthy email, especially if someone is in need of a boost! Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter are also great ways to discover new music, movies, and books, and Pinterest especially, is also full of really useful lifehacks - it's not all wedding boards, fashion, and images of kittehs!
What are you passionate about?

Picnic with friends on Huay Tung Tao lake, Chiang Mai, Thailand




No comments: