Tuesday 14 June 2011

Thelma & Louise Changed My Life!

It happens to be true - as I'll explain in a minute - and through this blog, I hope you will understand that if something in your life is broken, or not working particularly well, then you have the power to change things for the better.

So how did Thelma and Louise change my life? With one simple phrase...

"You get what you settle for."

This really struck a chord with me, and I realised that all of my life I had done what was expected of me, and been the person that other people wanted....and it had not brought me happiness. Well, it had brought me a degree of happiness but I nevertheless felt unfulfilled and in some ways, used.

Being the self-reflective type, I ruminated on this thought and came to the conclusion that I had no one to blame but myself, and instead of having the courage of my convictions, by 34 years of age, I truly had settled for what I got. And it pleased me not.

So I decided to change my life! It wasn't easy, it wasn't painless, and it certainly was not without its share of heartbreak and recriminations... but it was absolutely worth it.

I am not for one minute about to encourage anyone to ditch their marriage, or go on a road trip, or chuck in their career and devote themselves to a life of hedonistic self-sufficiency (although, please don't let me stop you!)....but I am going to encourage you to make small changes and take positive steps toward a happier you. And I hope you discover that small changes add up and become life-enhancing bigger changes.

Through this blog, I hope to not only share my thoughts and experiences with you but also be able to share your experiences too.

Oh, and there will be delicious healthy recipes too!

No comments: